30 August 2016

10 Miscellaneous Quotes | #LazyBlogging August

10 Miscellaneous Quotes | 

#LazyBlogging August 



There's something you probably don't yet know about me. Something that I haven't had the chance to cover yet on this blog. This thing is almost central to who I am and it's one of my deepest passions. I'm so excited to finally have a blog post in which I can share my love of words with you. 

With this blog I definitely don't want to be defined as a girl who only loves frivolous things like makeup and fashion and whatever else. Whilst these things all form part of who I am, I think what I'm sharing with you today will probably provide those of you who read this blog often a more substantial view of who I am and what I believe in.

So let's get into the post!



This first quote is one I found searching through Pinterest. If you read my post about going to see Breakfast at Tiffany's at an open roof cinema in London than you'll probably understand why a few days later I was searching for anything that Audrey Hepburn had ever said!

As soon as I came across this quote I knew it had to be in this post! Anyone who knows anything about me will most likely know that empathy is right at the top of my list. It's most likely because I grew up in a family that's exposed to the terrible things that go on in the world first hand due to my Dad working in the charity sector. That aside, I've found myself having a deep compassion for other people's suffering and honestly believe that it is this feeling of empathy and care for others that will one day, hopefully, turn the world into a peaceful place to live. 


There was no way I could create a post containing quotes without this one. This was the most commonly said quote in my Philosophy class at school this year and I honestly love what it means.

What GE Moore is essentially saying is that, like we cannot describe what the colour yellow is to a blind person, we also cannot describe feelings. There are some things in life that everyone (or the majority of people) can understand but cannot actually describe without using the word itself. I think this is fascinating, that there are some things so fundamental to human life that we all grasp their meaning without ever being told what they actually mean.

Anyway, before I get too philosophical let's move on to my next quote of choice!


Like the one above, there was no way this saying could be excluded from this collection. I have no idea who originally said this but if you know please let me know in the comments down below!

I love this quote for two reasons, first of all the metaphor it uses is the sea and sailing. I come from a sailing family (my Dad was in the navy, then he became a sailing instructor and this is where he met my mum. So I guess you could technically say sailing is the reason I came into being!) and this is why I feel I have a connection with this quote far above other quotes that essentially say the same thing!

The other aspect that I love about this saying is that it tells you that even if you're going through a hard time, there is a reason for it, even if that reason is simply to make you a stronger person. Those who 'sail' through life without ever hitting a storm are lucky, but do they really experience life as a whole? Have they really explored everything they can be as a person? The answer is most likely no.


I'll be honest, I had never heard this quote until I googled 'Quotes about London.' But again this clicked with me instantly. I might be biased but I love London. It's an amazing city. There is pretty much opportunities to do anything you could ever want to do in London and although that is all that this quote from Samuel Johnson is pointing out, I think it points it out very eloquently.


This quote from Taylor Swift has a very similar message to the Audrey Hepburn quote I chose earlier. I'm a strong believer in being nice to everyone. If you don't have something nice to say then don't say it at all. I feel like the people who are good to other people leave the strongest impression on the world they will one day leave behind. Also, we couldn't have a collection of quotes without the modern day master that is Taylor Swift now could we?!


I'm sure you'll have seen this quote before. I know I've seen it countless times. Anyway, I never knew where it had come from until one day we were sat reading Wuthering Heights in my English class and stumbled upon it there. It's fair to say I let out a large exclamation of "that's where that quote if from!"

I love this quote so so much! It has to be the perfect idealisation of romance in the shortest but most powerful sentence ever.


This quote I again came across on pinterest and it's so me! I think any of my friends will tell you I'm far from normal and I certainly have my little quirks. But that's what makes life fun isn't it? It's when you come across those people who's quirks you love! 

I think what Van Gogh was saying is a very important message to take with you on all walks in life. That is that you shouldn't try to be normal, you should just be yourself and that is how you will achieve the most beautiful life you can image for yourself.


This one links back to a previous post I wrote about All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven. In actual fact this quote is written in that book. I connected with the words so much that I took a photo of the page as soon as I read it so that I wouldn't lose the quote!

I can't actually say why I loved this so much but I think it rings true that even if you have a really bad day and there's one moment in it that made you happy or smile, that that is the thing you'll remember and not the really awful day you had!


Can there be any collection of quotes without at least one feature of Shakespeare? No, the answer is and always will be: NO! To say I love the words that Shakespeare wrote and left us would be an understatement. I know he is the most celebrated writer of all time, but I think he deserves a lot more celebration - especially from younger audiences such as myself.

Side note- I was not a fan of Shakespeare when I first came across his work (Hamlet to be precise - I was 12 at the time). However, we took a school trip to Stratford (the home of Shakespeare and the RSC) in Year 10 when I was 15 to see As You Like It and fell in love! You have not seen Shakespeare until you have seen Shakespeare in the home of the bard himself!

Back on point - I know, I'm cheesy, Romeo and Juliet is my favourite Shakespeare play! I'm aware, it's not realistic. But do you know what? I don't really care! This has to be one of the most romantic things anyone in all of literature has ever said. Juliet wants to badly to be with Romeo that she would risk losing her family because of it. 

So basically, if you don't already love Shakespeare, get yourself down to Stratford and then come and join me back here to fangirl over him.


This is the final quote, I promise! This last one is by Jessarae who is a musician from California and who was 5SOS's support act in London (you can see my post all about it here)! When I heard these lyrics for the first time in the O2 arena I knew that I had to hear them over and over again. I cannot express how much I love what this quote is saying. It's basically the same concept as the sailor quote if I'm honest but you know I had to throw in two similar ones for good measure!

I really hope you enjoyed this post! Let me know what your favourite quotes are in the comments down below! You can also let me know via our blog or my personal twitter (linked in side bar and down below)!

This post is part of #LazyBlogging August, so make sure you're caught up on Ella and Jess' posts!

Love
Katie
xx




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...