27 June 2016

What I've Read Recently (June 2016)

What I've Read Recently 


A few weeks ago I had an  urge to read a few books. Now I'm going to tell you what I read and what I thought (don't worry, there won't be any spoilers!) 

We Were Liars, The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Atonement

As you can see from the photo above I read 'We Were Liars' by E. Lockhart, 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky and 'Atonement' by Ian McEwan.


Atonement - Ian McEwan

I read 'Atonement' for English Literature hence the reason why it is completely covered in scribbles, highlighter and sticky notes! If you would like to know how I go about reading, revising and studying books for English then please let me know in the comments below or on any of our social media which is linked in the side bar!

Atonement - Ian McEwan

'Atonement' is a post-modern novel set mainly in World War Two England and France. It follows the story of a young couple, Robbie and Cecilia, briefly before the war and during the war, as well as following the journey of Cecilia's younger sister, Briony.

If I'm honest I thought I was done reading novels set in war time after the first year of my English A-Level solely focused on World War One literature, however I was proven wrong with this novel. McEwan writes an extremely engaging story that I struggled to put down. I found myself constantly page turning to find out what was going to happen to the characters next.

Whilst many of my class stopped reading this novel as soon as we had moved onto our next text, I continued to read until after we had stopped and I'm so glad I did. Unlike many other war novels that seem to keep the romance parts and the war parts completely separate, McEwan integrates the two perfectly so you're kept engaged with all aspects of the novel.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a romantic novel that is rooted in a very serious and realistic situation.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephan Chbosky

The second book that I have read recently is 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephan Chbosky. I've had this book for ages (by this I mean quite a few years) but have never got round to reading it.

I'll be honest, I did that thing you're never meant to do and watched the film before I read the book, however I genuinely really enjoyed both. This novel follows the journey of a teenage boy with mental health problems as he makes friends with a really diverse group in the year above him. I would say that there is at least one character in this book that everyone can relate to.

I absolutely loved how this book was written. Chbosky uses the form of letters to put across his story. I thought this was really clever as it really allowed you to understand how the main character felt as it was entirely from his perspective.

Again, if you haven't read this book I really encourage you to! It's quite an easy read and I managed to finish it in about two days.

We Were Liars - E Lockhart

Finally, is 'We Were Liars' by E. Lockhart. This book is so hard to explain without ruining the ending! To explain it simply, without giving any spoilers, it follows the story of Cadence and her family. Whilst reading the book you are aware that Cadence has been in some kind of accident yet she cannot remember what it is. She spends a lot of time reflecting on her past summers spent with two of her cousins and the nephew of her aunts boyfriend whom she has a very innocent romance with.

I read this book in one sitting! For me this is really unusual, I'm not the quickest reader and normally spend quite a while reading a book. There's really not much I can say on this book other than it really is amazing. 

If you plan on reading this book I would really urge you not to do what I did (that is read the last few pages of the book to know the ending) as I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I had allowed the ending to be a surprise!

Have you read any of these books? Did you enjoy them? If not let us know which books you have been loving recently!

You can subscribe to our blog on bloglovin' (link is in our sidebar) to keep up to date with all of our posts!

Katie
xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...